Saturday, January 3, 2009

Late @ Tate

2009 is starting rather well, with my first gig last night. Well, it wasn't a real gig , but there was a band playing live so in my view it still qualifies.

Actually I went to Late @ Tate, a well-established event occurring every last Friday of the month. It is located at the Tate Britain between 6pm and 10pm, and joins art, music, performances, and of course, a bar.

I originally went to catch the Bacon exhibition before it closes (amazing exhibition, BTW...) but also ended up seeing some rather curious Romanian short movies, and catching the band Petit Mal who were playing there.

They are an electro-pop duo from London. As I am quite into electro at the moment I was curious to see them; their music is not bad, maybe a bit too 80's for me, but quite dark and hypnotic. That being said, their live performance was not exactly impressive: The guy seemed rather bored behind his keyboard, the female singer being a bit more lively but not much. I left after 3 songs.

They reminded me of Ladytron in that: Good music, but no stage presence. I'm wondering if there's a reason why all these electro bands won't move onstage?

Here's a recording of the song Possessed:

No comments: