Monday, December 22, 2008

Gig update

I haven't updated this for ages... OK so here is an ultra-fast review of the gigs I went to since the summer:

- Radiohead @ Victoria Park: Predictably amazing, but Victoria Park is lame for gigs.

- O2 Wireless festival: I only went for one day, when Morrissey played. That was really good, even though I'm not too familiar with his music. Also I discovered Siouxsie who blew me away, I had only heard from her because The Cure's Robert Smith played in her band years ago, but I really loved her show.

- The Mars Volta @ Roundhouse: Totally forgettable gig, these guys may have incredible musical skills but they're unable to make songs out of it.

- R.E.M @ Twickenham Stadium: Superb. Grand. Fantastic. If only for that acoustic version of Let Me In. Guillemots and Editors in support, not bad either! Worst audience I have seen ever, though.

- Ash @ Roundhouse: Worst gig ever. I really don't like their music, I should always download the album before buying the tickets ;-). I left before the encore, I think for the first time in my life.

- Xavier Rudd @ Forum: He was with a drummer this time, that was nice. I still think his music fits better in a festival, with wasted people dancing around. For the Encore he played a couple of songs on a regular guitar outside of his 'box', and that was lame. He's all about the Didgeridoo and slide guitar, really.

- Calexico @ Forum: As always with Calexico, nice but forgettable. Get Well Soon were supporting, and that was the best bit.

- Foals @ Brixton Academy: Really good, actually! I like them. A bit too upbeat for me maybe, but they have darker songs as well, like Electric Bloom, which was superb live, with the musicians from the supporting band (I forgot how they were I'm afraid) joining on stage to play some drums.

- Aimee Mann @ Indigo2: OK, I guess. Apart from the Magnolia soundtrack, she doesn't really have any songs standing out of the crowd...

- Sigur Ros @ Alexandra Palace: Ally Pally is still the worst venue in London. The show was really good, but a bit tame compared to Latitude: No String or Brass bands. So maybe a bit disappointing.

That's it for 2008!

No comments: