Sunday, October 7, 2007

Monto Water Rats, 29-09-2007

Even though I hadn't liked the venue at all last time I had been here, I came back to the Monto Water Rats last Saturday, to see The Fluids, for the reason I'll explain later.

The first band playing wasn't on the program so I have no idea what their name is, but it was rather interesting: Female-fronted three-piece metal band, with the bassist also playing keyboards. I only saw one song and a half, but it was intriguing. If I ever find out who they are I'll definitely go see them properly.

Then The Fluids were playing. And they were the reason I was here: Their guitarist is leaving (to go leave in France ... I wonder...) and it was their last gig with him. Since I have offered my services to replace him, I wanted to see exactly how he plays to check I can fill his shoes.
Even though I know well that I have zero credibility as a guitarist, being French and a scientist. Obviously, the reason why they agreed to audition me is because I know the bassist's cousin quite well.
But anyhow, It's funny to watch a guitarist play in the perspective of replacing him. He is a bit faster in solos than I am, but apart from that not significantly better. He does use octaves quite a lot though, which I hardly ever do. Something to think about..

After them, Pope was playing. Kind of typical Oasis-inspired Brit-pop but quite good in the genre. For some reason they really made me think of the Full Monty: 3 guys, unemployed and deciding to make music for the hell of it. The singer looks strikingly like Robert Carlyle which probably had something to do with it. But also, the lyrics were about middle England, watching football matches and going to the pub. Strangely enough, I could totally relate to those lyrics which means either that they were good, or that I have been in this country for too long. Probably a bit of both.



And finally, Jackie Breaks closed the bill. Very good band, the singer has an amazing voice (that makes you forget the comb-over - OMG what is that!). It seems the members are from all over the world which is something I always like; the singer sounds Russian, I think..
Anyhow, their music was quite good, they definitely had stage presence (even though the 5 of them looked a bit squashed on the small stage), so it was a great show overall. One to watch again, for sure.

No comments: