Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Editors @ Brixton Academy

To be honest, I hadn't heard any song from Editors before a friend asked me if I wanted to go. I replied, why not?
So I got their two albums, I found them quite good, dark and gloomy just like I enjoy. But I had no idea of what to expect from them live...

Unfortunately I missed the first supporting band, but hey were followed by Ra Ra Riot, who were astonishingly good! I really loved the fact that they have a cello and a violin, it really makes their music stand out. Stage-wise, the six of them were perfectly comfortable in such a large venue. They may improve their songwriting a bit (I would think that a move towards a more electro sound would be a good idea, but that's just my opinion...).

And then Editors, who were I must say a very good surprise! They are brilliant live, the singer is completely into his stuff, and yet still acknowledge the (very good) audience. The most amazing thing I found is that their songs were as gloomy as on the album, but somehow the drums was brought forward and made them good to dance on as well! On the low point, I think the guitarist lacks a bit of imagination, he always plays the same kind of stuff with the same sound. Last night it wasn't too annoying as the singer made up for it, changing style as he switched between guitar and piano, but on the long run that might cause everything to sound the same... Time will tell!!

No comments: