Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nada Surf Vs Ze Germans

I discovered Get Well Soon a few weeks ago, when I went to see Nada Surf at Koko. They were the supporting band, and they absolutely stole the show (well, to be honest, Nada Surf didn't help: Their 40-year-old-rebel attitude is a bit pathetic, with the guitarist lighting up a cig on stage.... And they didn't even play popular!)

So I went to see them again a few days later, at Bush Hall this time. Bush Hall is a slightly awkward venue, small enough but it lacks the atmosphere of other places like Scala or Koko.
Get Well Soon were great, as before, but the audience was just terrible. They were all sat!! I must say I have been to a lot of gigs, I have seen bad audience, but that was a first! So it completely ruined the gig, and their music felt flat even though it's gorgeous, with superb Arcade Fire-esque arrangements.
But the worse was, they were followed by Wallis Bird, who in a nutshell is Lilly Allen without the famous father: same insipid music, same pretty face. But for that, people stood up of course! I left after 3 songs and went to the bar to chat with the bassist of Get Well Soon instead, far more interesting.

Here's one of their songs I recorded that night:

No comments: