Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Beggar's Opera, New World Record@The Fly

I was at this venue called The Fly on Monday night.
I had never been there before, and from the outside it looked quite scary: There is a massive glass window giving on the street, and sitting just in front of me were a group of NME-style over-dressed youngsters (impressive hair cuts, tight jeans and ties).

But actually the place turned out just as dodgy as the average venue, with the stage in the basment, next to the gents. There is no bar downstairs, which I found was quite a bummer. But it also got handy at some point. You'll see...

So; the night started with A Beggart's Opera. These guys are very cute, very sweet in a way. Not mind-blowing music, but their youth and freshness is seducing.
Two MASSIVE problems though:
- 1: Unless you are Bono or some other living legend, it is not possible to start a gig with the lyrics "You know I love you, You know I love you so". I am not particularly into sophisticated lyrics, but this is too much.
- 2: The drummer was wearing a T-shirt saying "Mr Happy". Please, don't.
Hopefully these guys will mature as they get older and wiser, and could give something interresting.

This, obviously, did not happen with the second band, New World Record. These guys did look like Oxford post-graduate students trying to get occupied between lectures (I am a post-grad myself, so no hard feelings there). Just plain serious and, well, dull. So that's why after 3 songs I had to go upstairs get myself a pint, one thing led to another, and I skipped the rest of the gig.

The rest of the night tomorrow.....

No comments: