Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Placebo @ Shepherds Bush Empire

I'm going to start my review of last night's gig with a rant: What the hell was that bloody 'no pictures' policy???? The security staff was really harsh with that, they wouldn't even let me take pictures of the supporting act with my crap mobile phone. Brian Molko did declare a 'photo amnesty' half way through his set, which is nice (even him was irritated by the security trying to pin on people), but still...

Anyway, the supporting act was Little Fish, which consists of a girl on guitar and vocals, and a drummer. I found them really good, the singer's voice sounded a lot like PJ Harvey and musically they were quite dark and heavy. The songs were basic but catchy, and had interesting lyrics as well (I caught some words in french I believe...). A good one.

Placebo's set started slowly with a few songs from the latest album, and some older songs as well but, the atmosphere wasn't great and even 'Every You, Every Me' sounded flat. But things started to pick up slowly, as the show progressed. Worth noting is the new single 'For What It's Worth', which sounds way better live; and also the played a new, more gothic version of MEDS. There were 2 encores, clearly the best moments of the gig (they played 'Special K', 'Song To Say Goodbye', 'Bitter End' and 'Taste in Men'...).

I should also mention that one of the songs that sounded best from the new album was a song named Julien: From what I caught in the lyrics, it's about a guy named Julien, who has no friends. Sounds familiar.

Here's my recording of the intro for MEDS (2009 version):

No comments: